Thursday, December 12, 2013

List of Question Stems


Question-Stems

Determine the basics
What are the characters doing? (& why?)
The characters are NOT doing what… (& why?)
What do they want very badly? (& why?)
Who is telling the story? (& why did the author choose X as the narrator?)
How is the story organized? (& why?)
What is the source of tension? (& why?)
Can you trust the narrator? (& why?)
      Do X’s words match his/her actions?
      I notice the author uses… (& why?)

MAKE CONNECTIONS
What surprised/interested me most was X, because I always thought…
I think X caused Y because...
X is similar to/reminds me of...
X is important because...
What does character X/author mean by...
I can relate to X because...
      What does X add to our understanding of Y?
      I’m beginning to think that the title means…

SYNTHESIZE
If I could, I’d ask the character/author about X…
Three important points/ideas are...
X, Y, & Z are important because...
The author wants us to think...
Why did the author make X happen instead of Y…?
At this point, the story is about X, rather than...
I still don’t understand X because...
This metaphor (or any other literary technique) adds X to the novel’s meaning
      because…
How is theme X developed? (& why?)
      The whole narrative so far seems to be summed up in this passage: …o


1 comment:

  1. I love these prompts, Susan. I think the key to developing student learning is asking good questions, and it's a skill that takes time and practice to perfect. Bringing an array of possible angles with which to view the material to the conversation is important to generating as diverse and thoughtful a discussion as possible.

    Have you thought about adding question stems that focus on choices or decisions the characters made? One way to do this would be to provide stems such as, "When ___________ chose to _______, I thought.....", "How would you have made a different choice than....." and "Which character made the best decision......and why?"

    ReplyDelete